Rather than start with my sewing back story I thought I’d kick off my blog with my latest make – a Lilou – one of the patterns included in Love at First Stitch by Tilly. Three weeks ago I was sat in Heathrow departures making use of the free wifi catching up on my bloglovin feed and saw this fabulous dress covered in lemons made by Jane and before I went to the gate I had tracked down the same fabric and ordered it so that it was waiting for me upon my return.
Knowing that I had some lovely bright fabric waiting for me cheered up on my return from holidays. I nipped into Chichester to pick up the notions (before Easter I wouldn’t have even know what notions were) and decided to go with the Lilou as I had bought Love at First Stitch a month or so ago. I decided to make a muslin – going from a size 4 at the bodice and graduating to a 5 at the waist. Having made the muslin I decided to sew a size 4 all over as it seemed a bit loose but found it actually quite difficult to tell with the back hanging open as I was too impatient to insert a zip – yes, I will learn from this mistake.
The final garment is not a great fit on the bodice. It is too tight under my arms whilst there is an excess of fabric across the boobs. However, the skirt seems to fit OK although next time I might make it a little longer. It was quite a windy day when I took these photos and the skirt kept blowing up in Marilynesque fashion.
Having initially put my zipper foot on back to front I managed to insert the zip on the second attempt. Not sure what I had done wrong first time around but the stitches didn’t attached to the zip. There are a few ruffles around the bottom but overall I am pleased with my first invisible zipper.
So, that’s it … my first blog – I think it took longer than the dress! All tips and advice gratefully received.